Science writing internship at Genes to Genomes
Intern with Genes to Genomes!
The intern will work closely with editorial staff to write posts for the Genes to Genomes blog and contribute to other writing, outreach, and communications tasks as needed. You must be an excellent writer and a fast learner.
This paid internship is for 10 hours a week for 12 weeks and you will be telecommuting. Your application should include: a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample that summarizes a GSA Journals research article in the style of a Genes to Genomes blog post (for examples, see: http://genestogenomes.org/category/science-and-publishing/).
You may also include up to two other writing samples that demonstrate your ability to write for a general biology audience or the public (i.e., not scholarly research articles).
- Write posts for Genes to Genomes blog (you will have some posts assigned by the editors, but you will also pitch your own post ideas)
- Conduct phone interviews with scientists as needed
- Work with editors to revise and publish posts
- Identify appropriate images to accompany posts
- Promote posts via social media
- Other tasks as needed
You may also have opportunities to gain training and experience in other writing tasks (e.g., writing press releases or journal issue highlights) according to your interests, skills, and the tasks and time available.
Experience and skills required
- Some graduate training in genetics or related field (e.g., current graduate student). Those with equivalent research experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated writing skills, including use of plain language
- Knowledge of genetics and biology
- Ability to write engagingly for both the public and a scientific audience
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines
- Ability to work closely with others, and to share and receive ideas openly
For information about how to apply, please visit: http://www.faseb.org/Professional-Development-and-Diversity-Resources/Professional-Development-and-Career-Resources/Employment-and-Fellowship-Opportunities/Employment-with-FASEB-and-Member-Societies.aspx
Applications will require a cover letter, resume, and writing samples. Please combine writing samples into a single PDF file.